Manager field not working correctly??

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM

First of all, great web part.  Can see that it will be useful.  Have one issue I can see - after I search and select a user, what appears in the manager field is I get something that has the manager field with the LastName in italics and a backslash.  Underneath the field in red there is a mesaage saying "No exact match was found".  Its almost as if because it is a person type, it only picks the last name of the manager and not the displayName.  Is there anything that can be found or done or is it simple a setting?

Thanks and look forward to the response.

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Hi,

Thanks for spending time describing the issue. I see what the problem could be. I'll check that tomorrow and send the new version during the evening if the fix is OK.

Alexis

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:38 PM

Sweet!  Thanks Alexis.

One other question - what would you use to get the direct reports into this webpart?  In the xml i would figure you something like:

<property adname='directReports' name="Direct Reports" type='????' values = '' />

I am unsure what you would use for the type since you want to see more than 1 person.  If you use type person, you will only see one.  I am not sure a listbox would work.  Any suggestions or thoughts?

Sorry to bother again.

Ben

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I think it's not a good idea trying to edit directReports because it's automatically calculated from the manager property of other users (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms675513%28VS.85%29.aspx)

I think the webpart will fail trying to apply it. But you're right: I could try to implement a multi-person field. Adding it to my TODO list :-)

Alexis

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Alexis,

I don't think you would edit the directReports but have a list of the direct reports.  You are right - all editing would be done within the manager field which would then be shown in the direct reports.  Since the mysites organizational hierarchy could not be moved over to a regular site collection, this would be cool.

Thanks.

Ben

Coordinator
Aug 18, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Ben,

I don't think this is the target of this webpart which is editing.

This could be another project to make a webpart that displays infos from AD. (I've already seen this kind of webpart somewhere, but I couldn't remember where :-S )

Alexis

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Ben,

I put the new version online (1.0.1). Have you tried it? Is your problem about manager solved?

Alexis

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Alexis,

Thanks - this does work now with the manager field.  You are awesome!  Just what we were looking for.

Can I ask you one more question - I added the email property in a textbox.  Can I make that a hyperlink in your xml so that a user can simply click on the email and start to send an email through outlook?

Thanks.

Ben

Coordinator
Aug 20, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Ben,

It's not possible just to add a hyperlink because the only tags that are not stripped are "property" the way the webpart works.

Are you trying to make an "employee directory"? Because sharepoint provides out of the box tools to sync AD properties with user profiles in sharepoint. Then you can customize his "peoplesearchresults" to make ity display every user property the way you want so it can display clickable email, directReports with link to profiles, photos, ...

I've written an article describing how to do than but it's only in french for now. If you want, I could translate it.

Alexis,

Aug 20, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Alexis,

Thanks for the info.  What we are trying to do is basically surface some AD info not on the MySites page but on a separate manager/director page.  So one of our thoughts was to use the web part you built and have managers/directors see what people report to them without going to the mysites page. 

If its isn't too much of a bother, that article would be cool to see.

Thanks as always.

Ben  

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM

Ben,

Sorry for not responding quickly but I'm quite busy with some exams plus work in my company.

Here is the webpart i was talking about: http://userpasswordexpired.codeplex.com/

It doesn't do the job you want actually, but I think it could be easily improved with small mods in the code.

Alexis

Sep 8, 2009 at 12:54 AM
Thanks Alexis. I was reviewing this webbpart and from the comments it looks like it might have some issues. If you come across anything please let me know.
Thanks again!
Ben

Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 2009 11:24 AM
To: Sfanos, Benjamin
Subject: Re: Manager field not working correctly?? [nominesptools:66135]

Ben,

Sorry for not responding quickly but I'm quite busy with some exams plus work in my company.

Here is the webpart i was talking about: http://userpasswordexpired.codeplex.com/

It doesn't do the job you want actually, but I think it could be easily improved with small mods in the code.

Alexis

This email transmission may contain CONFIDENTIAL, PRIVILEGED, 
and or PROTECTED INFORMATION intended solely for the use of the 
individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are 
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by email, 
do not disseminate or copy and delete immediately.